Thursday, May 7, 2009

Glass Etching

So after I attended Minneapolis Regionals and saw the glass etching using the raw vinyl and Big Shot, I got to thinking and wondered if the raw vinyl was really neccessary. Could I just use paper and run it through a xyron to stick it to the glass? So I tried it. The first time instead of using the negative, I used the actual cut-out and then I was wondering how one controls where to stop putting the etching cream on. A few days later, it dawned on me that I was supposed to use the negative space so there would be no confusion where to end the etching cream. I didn't think to use transfer tape or anything of the sort to get the middle pieces of the flower, but all in all my experiment worked. You don't need raw vinyl to make your own designs, paper and the xyron work just fine. The jar is from Ikea and I used the flower from the Blooms and Basket die. For the picture, I just placed the jar over some cardstock so it was easier to see the etching part.


7 comments:

Girl can Knit - Cherry Lane Knit Stamp Quilt said...

I used to do glass etching back in high school...I NEEd to try this again! How cool!

Kirsten said...

I havent done etching in ages. I do really like the one where you used the positive image. It would be neat to take it even one step further and use the cream on the whole jar so it would be "cloudy" all around. I think I have been inspired to do just that!

sandi said...

What a great idea, I also have not etched for ages, might have to go and buy some new etching creame and give this a go.

Holly said...

What a wonderful idea! I didn't know you could use paper instead of vinyl - thanks for that info!

Virginia Killmore said...

Wow so neat! Thanks for the information!

Luv 2 Cre8 With U said...

Thanks for showing us how to do this. I know my customers would love to learn something like this. I am sure you will learn even more the more you work with them. Thanks so much for sharing.

Kelli Waters said...

Such a cool etched project. If you fill that little jar with some ribbons, it would be a great hostess gift!